Waitomo District Profile
The Borough of Te Kuiti was constituted in 1910. In 1922 the Awakino County was amalgamated with a newly created Waitomo County Council (in an area of the then Otorohanga County) to form a new separate local authority.
Part of the Kawhia County was included with Waitomo County in 1956 while the balance of the former Kawhia County was incorporated with the neighbouring Otorohanga County.
The Te Kuiti Borough and Waitomo County Councils were amalgamated to form the Waitomo District Council on 1 April 1976, and although minor changes to boundaries occurred with the 1989 re-organisation, the District remains largely unchanged today.
The present Waitomo District Council was reconstituted on 1st November 1989.
Major District Events