Weather Watch - Heavy rain
Metservice has issued a heavy rain watch for Waikato and Waitomo. The watch is valid from 5am to 10pm Saturday (20 April). More info here

Lawrence St feasibility study gets the go ahead

30 Jul 2020, 12:00 PM



Waitomo District Council (WDC) today gave the go-ahead to undertake a land development feasibility study for council-owned land in Te Kuiti.


WDC owns three properties in Lawrence Street which are all vacant and potentially available for development.  A further seven privately-owned vacant properties adjoin the area. 


Council chief executive Chris Ryan said a feasibility study will allow the Council to better understand the full potential of the land, as well as any issues to be aware of.


“That includes access, usage, and importantly how potential development of this land could benefit our community in the future,” he said.


Currently the privately-owned properties are landlocked with no legal road access, so development has not occurred. 


“We’re excited at the prospect of a development opportunity in Te Kuiti. It’s potentially a sizable piece of work, with many complex opportunities to canvass. That makes the feasibility study important. If we’re going to do something substantial with the land, we need to know what’s possible and what’s not.”


The feasibility study will consider various options and opportunities for the land as well as ownership history of the council-owned properties, including how the land came into public ownership.


A hui was held on 23 June 2020 to discuss aspirations for future use of the land, attended by adjoining land owners/representatives of the landlocked properties, Mayor John Robertson, Councillor Lisa Marshall and a WDC representative.


“In principle, all parties were in favour of progressing to utilise their sections for the development of housing such as an urban papakainga or potentially social housing,” Chris said.


“On that basis we will be putting every effort in to get this project going because it has the potential to open up additional pieces of land for development.”


WDC staff will look now to seek external funding to cover the costs of the feasibility study.  Progress will be reported back to the September Council meeting.