WDC Service Information
9 Apr 2020, 10:00 AM
Waste disposal services during the COVID-19 Alert Level 4
Waitomo District Council (WDC) has been working through a number of considerations around how to safely provide waste disposal services to our community, in a way that follows all Ministry of Health guidelines to ensure that public health is not compromised.
Waste Transfer Stations
WDC will operate the Waste Transfer stations with restricted access, on a temporary basis, during COVID-19 Alert Level 4.
Residents who do not receive the kerbside rubbish collection service can dispose of their WDC official blue bags at:
- Te Kuiti and Piopio Transfer Stations: commencing Wednesday 8 April 9am – 12 midday.
- Kinohaku and Awakino Transfer Stations: commencing Thursday 9 April 9am – 12 midday.
- Marokopa and Benneydale Transfer Stations: commencing Friday 10 April 9am – 12 midday.
Only WDC official blue bags can be disposed of at this time. This service will continue to be provided on the days stated above, on a fortnightly basis, during COVID-19 Alert Level 4. Continuation of the restricted service will be reviewed once Level 4 has been lifted.
Everyone must follow Ministry of Health guidelines. Keep a 2-metre distance from people at all times and wash your hands often using soap, then dry thoroughly. Stay at home if you are feeling unwell and seek medical attention.
The operation of the transfer stations is not business as usual:
- WDC will approve access to one vehicle at a time to unload WDC official blue bags into the skip bin provided onsite.
- Other rubbish types are not permitted.
- Loose waste material is not permitted. All waste must be bagged in WDC official blue bags to minimise the risk to onsite staff.
- No sharp objects, hot wastes or other hazardous material is to be included in blue bags.
- There will be no cash transactions onsite. The waste disposal fee is included in the cost of the blue bag.
- You will not be able to purchase blue bags from any of the Transfer Stations. Purchase your blue bags from the supermarket, and organise your household rubbish at home, beforehand.
- No recycling will be accepted at this time.
WDC staff and contractors will be wearing the appropriate personal protection equipment to ensure their safety.
IMPORTANT: Households with COVID-19 infected waste either confirmed or suspected. You must put contaminated waste items such as tissues or wet wipes into a separate tied or sealed bag before putting that bag into the WDC blue refuse bag.
Kerbside Rubbish Collection Service
We are operating our normal weekly kerbside rubbish collection of WDC official blue bags.
- Te Kuiti’s collection is every Friday.
- Piopio, Mokau, Awakino and the Waitomo ward and Village collection is every Tuesday.
- Benneydale township collection is every Tuesday. A maximum of two WDC official blue refuse bags will be accepted per household, per collection. This service arrangement will continue for the duration of the COVID19 Level 4 lockdown.
Bags must not exceed 15kg in weight, contain broken glass, hot wastes, or other hazardous material. Residents can purchase blue bags from Te Kuiti New World, SuperValue, Piopio Superette and Benneydale Food market. Place your bag on the kerbside by 8am on the day of collection. There will be no kerbside collection of recyclables. Please rinse and hold onto these for the time being.
We appreciate everyone’s understanding and cooperation during this time and remind everyone to keep safe, and be kind. Remember that we are all in this together.
For more information on essential services provided by WDC, please visit our website www.waitomo.govt.nz or phone 0800 932 4357.
Stay home this Easter. Reduce the risk of spreading COVID-19. For the latest updates visit https://covid19.govt.nz/latest-updates/