Update on our water supplies
18 Feb 2019, 2:23 PM
We are experiencing a period of hot, dry weather and our water supplies are under pressure to keep up with the demand.
Mokau water supply remains on Water Restriction Level 4.
The water level in the two upper dams is low. We are currently drawing water from the lower dam for the water treatment plant.
Water Restriction Status signs are now in place at both ends of Mokau Village. We ask visitors and the community to use water for essential purposes only. There is a complete ban on any outdoor water use.
Due to the lack of rainfall and the current level of the Mangaokewa Stream, we are now on Water Restriction Level 2 for the Te Kuiti water supply.
- Use sprinklers on alternate days between 6-8am and 6-8pm (e.g. even street numbers on even days; odd street numbers on odd days).
- Hand held hosing is allowed at anytime.
Piopio and Benneydale water supplies remain on Level 1 Conservation. Water consumption is consistent with this time last year.
Conserve water in and out of the home and office to ensure that there is a sufficient water supply for everyone.
Tips to save water:
- Water the garden in the early morning or late evening (6-8am and 6-8pm) to minimise the amount of water lost due to evaporation.
- Run full loads in the dish washer and washing machine.
- Keep a bucket in the shower and use the water you catch for watering plants, flushing the toilet or cleaning.
- Turn off the tap when cleaning your teeth or shaving.
- Fix leaking taps straight away and report water leaks to Council.
- When preparing meals rinse or peel vegetables in a bowl filled with water. By not running the tap you can save 10 Litres of water a minute.
For more conservation tips click here.