Free dog vaccination event a first for Waitomo District
8 Nov 2022, 11:14 AM
Waitomo District Council (WDC) is joining forces with Pound Hounds Rescue to provide free parvo vaccinations, flea and worm treatments and microchipping for those in the community who would struggle to afford it.
The vaccination event is a first for Council, and if successful, we will continue to work with Pound Hounds Rescue to hold vaccination events in future.
WDC Animal Control Officer, Michelle Clark says having a healthy dog is about responsible dog ownership, but with the cost of living increasing, providing vaccinations and treatments for your pet can be a struggle financially for many in the community.
“If your dog’s parvo vaccination isn’t up to date or they’re due for a flea or worm treatment, or you’d like your dog to be microchipped, but you cannot afford it, then we encourage you to come along to this free event,” she says.
The event will be held on Sunday 27 November at the Centennial Park Pavillion in Te Kūiti from 1.30pm to 3.30pm.
A desexing option will also be available on the day for a lower cost.
“If you sign up to get your dog desexed, you will be charged a lower rate of only $70 for males, and $90 for females (conditions apply), and we’ll get you booked into a veterinarian clinic as soon as possible,” says Michelle.
A community services card or proof of hardship will be required for this option.
“We are looking forward to providing this event in our community, and we hope to be able to help as many families as possible.”
- This event is for those who genuinely need help and would struggle to afford treatment. If you are breeding to sell, or can afford treatment, please do not attend.
- Your dog must be at the event to receive the treatment.
- A koha is welcome so we can continue to provide this free service.
- When you arrive, please drive up and stay in the car, and you will be told what to do. It will be just like a drive through.
- Vaccinations are limited and we cannot guarantee there will be enough for everyone.
- You can pre-register online by clicking this link https://bit.ly/3WFV5Ww to ensure your dog will receive treatment.
- All dogs MUST be on a lead.
- If you, or your dog is unwell, please stay at home.