Upcoming overnight road closure: Mangarino Road, Te Kūiti – 19 July 2024

A temporary road closure will be in place on Mangarino Road, Te Kūiti from 9am Friday 19 July until 9am the following morning 20 July. The road closure is to allow maintenance work on the Mangarino Road Bridge. More info

Media Release - Earthquake Commission

21 Jun 2017, 8:43 AM

Customers whose land suffered damage from landslips or flooding during the April floods still have time to lodge a claim with the Earthquake Commission.

Event response spokesperson, Paul Walsh, says that there is still plenty of time to make a claim for the flooding that occurred when the remnants of Cyclone Debbie and Cyclone Cook passed across the country in April.

“If your land has suffered landslip, flood damage or silt inundation, and you have fire insurance for home or contents, then you can make a claim with EQC within three months of when the damage occurred.

“For example, if your property suffered landslip damage on 5 April, you have until 5 July to lodge your claim.”

EQC covers damage to residential land within certain limits caused by storms and floods. EQC also covers damage to home, contents and land within certain limits caused by natural landslips. Insurance companies cover house and contents damage according to the terms of their policy with the customer in the cases of storm and flood damage.

Mr Walsh says that because of the nature of the land damage in Edgecumbe, EQC is managing the clean-up in the area working alongside the Government and the Whakatane District Council.

“Our contractors are focusing on clearing silt and debris that have inundated properties, or that has got underneath houses so the house can be dried out and repaired by the private insurer where required.”

Claims can be lodged online, via email, or by calling 0800 DAMAGE (326 243).

The EQC call centre is open 7am to 9pm Monday to Friday, and 8am to 6pm on Saturdays.

More information about EQC’s cover for this year’s flood events is available here.

What does EQC cover for floods and storms?

With floods and storms, EQC covers natural disaster damage to certain residential land within the property boundary.

The following areas are covered:

  • The land under a home or outbuildings (e.g. garage or sheds);
  • The land within 8 metres of a home or outbuildings;
  • The land under or supporting the main access way, up to 60 metres from a dwelling, but not the driveway surfacing.

EQCover for land damage also extends to the following:

  • Bridges and culverts within the above areas; and
  • Some retaining walls and their support systems necessary for the support or protection of a home, outbuildings, or insured land.

How much can EQC pay out for land damage?

EQCover usually pays the lesser of either:

  • The cost to repair the damaged land, or
  • The value of the damaged land, or the value of 4,000 square metres, or the value of the minimum-sized building site allowed in the area in which you live – whichever is the smallest.

It is also important to note that bridges, culverts, and retaining walls that support the home or insured land are covered as part of EQC land cover. Where EQC pays out the value of the land, the indemnity value of the retaining walls bridges and culverts will be added to the land value. This means the valuation takes into account their age and state of repair.

Land - what EQC covers graphic 19 June 2017