Water supply update for Waitomo district
7 Jan 2015, 10:28 AM
The latest readings taken by WDC's Water services team show that all water supply levels are currently above the minimum thresholds.
We urge residents to continue to conserve water use to help prevent the need for any restrictions being placed on the supply. By using water responsibly there will be plenty of water available for all.
All communities are currently on Level 1.
Quick tips to save water in the home:
- Turn off the tap when cleaning your teeth or shaving, you can save 10 litres of water a minute.
Showers are the best way to reduce water usage, but only if they are short. Keep shower time to 3 minutes or less.
- Check your toilet for leaks. Put a few drops of food colouring in your toilet tank. If it appears in the bowl without flushing, you have a leak that needs repairing.
- When washing clothes, run full loads or be sure to set controls for a partial load if you are doing less.
- When preparing meals rinse or peel vegetables in a large bowl filled with water. By not running the tap you can save 10 Litres of water a minute.
Quick tips to save water outdoors:
- Water sparingly, every four or five days, to encourage plant roots to grow deeper. Aim for a total of about 25mm of water per week.
- Water in the early morning or evening to reduce evaporation.
- Did you know a swimming pool cover can cut evaporation by as much as 90%, reducing the need for top-ups in the dry summer season.
To check for swimming pool leaks use a pencil to mark the water level at the skimmer. Check the mark 24 hours later to see if it’s gone down.