New National Council for Local Government New Zealand confirmed
9 Dec 2016
Local Government New Zealand has announced the formation of its new National Council who met for the first time this week to discuss priorities for the coming triennium.
The National Council, which acts as the governing body of LGNZ and sets, guides and oversees its policy and advocacy work, is made up of elected members from New Zealand’s metropolitan, regional, provincial and rural councils and is formed following local elections.
Dave Cull, Mayor of Dunedin and Chair of LGNZ’s Metro Sector, was appointed as Vice President at the Council’s meeting this morning.
Mr Yule says the National Council plays an important role for the sector and will be setting the direction of travel for the coming term.
“There has been a refresh following the local elections and I am thrilled with the quality of the Council,” Mr Yule says. “Mayor Cull has tremendous experience and will be an excellent Vice President.
“Since the last National Council was established in 2013 the landscape for New Zealand has changed, and it is the role of the new Council to set a refreshed strategic direction and continue to work alongside the new Prime Minister and our partners in central government. This work has now begun and will define how the sector approaches major issues including climate change, infrastructure funding and regional development, among other issues.
“Those who sit on the Council do so in addition to their other workloads and I thank them for their commitment to the wider local government family and their communities, and welcome all new members on board,” Mr Yule says.
The LGNZ National Council is:
- Lawrence Yule, President of LGNZ and Mayor, Hastings District Council
- Dave Cull, Vice President of LGNZ and Mayor, Dunedin City Council
- Hon Phil Goff, Mayor, Auckland Council
- Justin Lester, Mayor, Wellington City Council
- Doug Leeder, Chair, Bay of Plenty Regional Council
- Rachel Reese, Mayor, Nelson City Council
- Brian Hanna, Mayor, Waitomo District Council
- Jan Barnes, Mayor, Matamata-Piako District Council
- Penny Hulse, Councillor, Auckland Council
- Hon John Carter, Mayor, Far North District Council
- Stuart Crosby, Councillor, Bay of Plenty Regional Council
- Don Cameron, Mayor, Ruapehu District Council
- Wayne Guppy, Mayor, Upper Hutt City Council
- Richard Kempthorne, Mayor, Tasman District Council
- Tracy Hicks, Mayor, Gore District Council