Severe weather roading update #2
5 Apr 2017, 2:00 PM
Update as at 14:00hrs
Severe weather has caused flooding around the Waitomo district and the MetService are predicting more heavy rain over the next 24 hours. Due to severe flooding and slips, State Highway 3 is closed between SH4 and Mokau. Please avoid the area.
For State Highway updates visit http://www.nzta.govt.nz/traffic/roadclosures/166099
WDC is assessing the storm damage impacts on all our local roads. We recommend that people avoid travel if possible.
Here is an update of the local roads affected by slips or surface flooding:
- Gadsby Road
- Gribbons Road (x3 SLIPS)
- Mangaokewa Road
- Totoro Road (CLOSED)
- Te Marama Road (CLOSED)
- Kokokorua Road SLIP
- Whakapirau Road
- Waitewhenua Road (WASHOUT)
- Ohura Road
- Marokopa Road and to Falls (FLOOD/SLIP)
- Mangaotaki Road
- Waitewhenua Road
- Taharoa Road
- Te Kumi Road to Somerville Road (FLOOD)
- Rangitoto Road (SLIP)
- Cotter Street- Mangarino Road
- Taharoa Road
- Te Waitere Road (SLIP)
- Waitepipi Road
Fast moving water poses a serious hazard that must be avoided at all times, as these waters can quickly sweep a person away. Fast flowing waters easily engulf cars and fords, low lying bridges and flooded roads should be avoided at all cost.
Road users should look out for surface flooding, and debris on the road. Watch your speed, take care not to follow too closely.
If you see flooding or storm damage please phone us on 0800 932 4357. If life is in danger, always call 111.
- Stay inside. Avoid driving unless absolutely necessary. If travel through slip-prone areas is necessary you are advised to check the NZTA website for any updates http://www.nzta.govt.nz/traffic/roadclosures/166099
- Ensure you have your home kits are available and a plan should you become isolated.
- Check your getaway kit in case you have to leave in a hurry.
- Secure, or move indoors, all items that could get blown about and cause harm in strong winds.
- Have enough water available for at least three days
- Stay out of flood water as there is a risk of wastewater contamination and unknown hazards.
Waikato Civil Defence: http://www.waikatoregioncdemg.govt.nz/
Weather Updates: MetService - http://www.metservice.com/national/home
Road Closures: NZTA - http://www.nzta.govt.nz/traffic/regions/3?layers=road-closures
School Closures: Ministry of Education - http://www.education.govt.nz/ or contact your local school
Facebook updates: www.facebook.com/waitomodistrict