Severe weather roading update #1
5 Apr 2017, 9:20 AM
Update as at 8.23hrs
Severe weather has caused flooding around the Waitomo district and the MetService are predicting more heavy rain over the next 24 hours. State Highway 3 just north of Awakino is also closed due to flooding. Please avoid the area. For updates visit http://www.nzta.govt.nz/traffic/roadclosures/166099
The following roads are currently closed due to flooding and/or slips:
- Mangaokewa Road
- Te Waitere Road
- Paekaka Road
Flooding calls have also been received for Tumutumu, Waitomo, Taharoa, Aria, Ohura, Waitewhena Roads.
Slips, trees and flooding on SH3 (Piopio to Awakino), SH4 (8-mile junction to Mapiu), SH30 (Benneydale) and SH37 (Waitomo). Slip near Waikawau Tunnel.
Aria Rd is flooded, and part of road has washed away. Closure signs are being setup.
Road users should look out for surface flooding, and debris on the road. Watch your speed, take care not to follow too closely.
If you see flooding or storm damage please phone us on 0800 932 4357. If life is in danger, always call 111.
- Stay inside. Avoid driving unless absolutely necessary. If travel through slip-prone areas is necessary you are advised to check the NZTA website for any updates http://www.nzta.govt.nz/traffic/roadclosures/166099
- Ensure you have your home kits are available and a plan should you become isolated.
- Check your getaway kit in case you have to leave in a hurry.
- Secure, or move indoors, all items that could get blown about and cause harm in strong winds.
- Have enough water available for at least three days
- Stay out of flood water as there is a risk of wastewater contamination and unknown hazards.
Waikato Civil Defence: http://www.waikatoregioncdemg.govt.nz/
Weather Updates: MetService - http://www.metservice.com/national/home
Road Closures: NZTA - http://www.nzta.govt.nz/traffic/regions/3?layers=road-closures
School Closures: Ministry of Education - http://www.education.govt.nz/ or contact your local school
Facebook updates: www.facebook.com/waitomodistrict