Severe weather service update #3
5 Apr 2017, 4:43 PM
Update as at 16:00hrs
There is a significant North Island weather event taking place, impacting on Waitomo District Council’s normal service delivery. WDC asks that people stay out of flood water as there is a risk of wastewater contamination and unknown hazards.
Fast moving water poses a serious hazard that must be avoided at all times, as these waters can quickly sweep a person away. Fast flowing waters easily engulf cars and fords, low lying bridges and flooded roads should be avoided at all cost.
- Stay home and avoid driving unless absolutely necessary.
- Check the NZTA website for any updates http://www.nzta.govt.nz/traffic/roadclosures
- Ensure you have your emergency kits are available and a plan should you become isolated.
- Check your getaway kit in case you have to leave in a hurry.
- Secure, or move indoors, all items that could get blown about and cause harm in strong winds.
- Have enough water available for at least three days
The council's hazards staff and the Waikato Civil Defence team are monitoring the situation closely and will provide updates as needed.
Report flooding and service issues to WDC on 0800 932 4357. If life is in danger, always call 111.