Water Meters

Water rate charges represent the cost to ensure water is fit to drink and delivered to your home.

Households located in communities with a water supply network (Te Kūiti, Piopio, Mōkau and Maniaiti/Benneydale) are charged a uniform rate on the basis of each separately used or inhabited part (SUIP). 

Properties identified as receiving an 'Extra Ordinary Supply' (PDF 1.03 MB) are charged a fixed amount in their rates for their 'ordinary supply' and in addition, will be charged based on the volume of water consumed over and above the allocated annual consumption of 292m3 per SUIP.

Those customers who are metered for water are billed in December and June. However, extremely high users (such as industrial users) are billed monthly.

What is a water meter?

A water meter is a device that is attached to your toby.   The toby, shuts off water to the whole of your property. It’s a good idea to know where your meter taps are before an emergency strikes. Check this once or twice a year to make sure it is working properly and if it is corroded, stiff or not working let Council know so it can be repaired or replaced. 

The meter measures the amount of water supplied to your home. Meters will be placed in a meter box, which will be fitted underground on public land. Click here to view our Water Meter Guide.

Waitomo District Council also installs water meters on properties as required to determine water balance requirements.

Who pays? (rentals)

The property owner is expected to pay the targeted rate, but may pass on water use charges to the tenant (see section 39 of the Residential Tenancies Act 1986). The property owner is liable for rates pursuant to the Local Government (Rating) Act 2002. Any arrangement regarding payment of a water consumption charge is usually included in the Tenancy Agreement between the owner and the tenant. If the tenant does not pay the water charges, this falls on the property owner.

The Council has no involvement in matters relating to the Residential Tenancies Act. For further questions concerning responsibilities under that Act, please contact Tenancy services on 0800 836 262.

How can I pay my water bill?

Click here to view payment options.

What happens if I'm moving house?

Just like your power,  you will need to have a final meter reading for water.   Please give us a call on 0800 932 4357 to log a service request. 

If you still get a metered water invoice in your name after selling the property, it may mean that WDC have not been notified of the sale.  It is normally your solicitor handling the sale that arranges this notification - check with them that they have sent this through.